You become an active part of your happiness when you enlist the spirit of gratitude, which has the power to light up your life — and the lives of others. Gratitude is a journey, one that helps us grow and expand, yet stay rooted in love along the way. This growing anthology of articles about gratitude will serve that journey.
“It is impossible to be both grateful and depressed. Those with a grateful mindset tend to see the message in the mess. And even though life may knock them down, the grateful find reasons, if even small ones, to get up.” – Steve Maraboli
Gratitude shifts you to a higher frequency, but you don’t have to be at that higher frequency in order to get grateful. When it’s hardest to be grateful, that’s when we need the soothing balm of gratitude the most. The lows call for our willingness to be grateful because it’s hard right now. It’s when everything feels like too much that we must pause, breathe, and linger on any thankful thoughts, big or small.
It’s not about covering your scars or hiding your hurts — being grateful is the sincere awareness that there is hope still, possibility not yet tapped, beauty that remains, love that lives, and peace in our presence. In fact, we cannot fully experience joy until gratitude is present, for it uncovers what’s already good, enhances that good, and attracts more good to our doorstep.
I love John Milton’s words: “Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world.”
I’ve collected a grouping of articles about gratitude to help you cultivate the habit/perspective of being grateful, of leaning toward joy, and of realigning with love and awe. This collection will grow, and will serve as a resource and a reminder that as long as your gratefulness perseveres, through thick and thin, joy will persevere.
Come back to this post whenever you need to come back home, to peace.
Articles about Gratitude: An Evolving Anthology
“Here’s the gift of gratitude: In order to feel it, your ego has to take a backseat. What shows up in its place is greater compassion and understanding. Instead of being frustrated, you choose appreciation. And the more grateful you become, the more you have to be grateful for.” – Oprah Winfrey
The Science of Gratitude
Articles rooted in science and positive psychology, which intend to clarify the intrinsic value of gratitude in our lives.
- Gratitude can truly turn a life around. This article notes 11 scientifically proven benefits of gratitude that’ll make you smile.
- A more detailed publication from Barbara Fredrickson, leading positive psychologist, explains her broaden-and-build theory of positive emotions, and how gratitude plays a role in our creative resourcefulness.
- This article mulls over the positive effects gratitude has on our bodies, minds, and relationships. The content of the article is drawn from the impressive research of Robert A. Emmons, PhD and leading expert on gratitude.
Articles about gratitude that focus on creative exercises and simple ways to make gratitude a more prevalent part of your life.
- If you’re struggling to express your gratitude or feel stuck, here are 10 ways to be grateful today.
- Sharon Martin, LCSW wrote a nice post for PsychCentral.com that shares 7 ways to practice gratitude when you feel depressed. These simple strategies, offered by professionals, can be used in the midst of struggle to help you realign with love and stretch toward the light.
- This post shares the joy and proven benefits of using a gratitude journal to document the good things in your daily life.
- If your gratitude practice feels stale, here’s a simple yet powerful gratitude exercise (in video format) from Marie Forleo to fill you up emotionally and really make a difference (hint: the details make the difference).
- If you’re interested in completing a “30 days of gratitude challenge,” try one of these 5 ways to practice gratitude all month long.
- This four-and-a-half-minute video from Gabby Bernstein offers some spiritual tools to handle/heal a breakup, which include the practices of acceptance, forgiveness, and gratitude.
- This Positive Psychology-inspired article highlights 5 gratitude exercises that boost happiness levels.
Healing Words about Gratitude
Quotes, affirmations, and positive reminders to help you return to gratitude again and again.
- For a quick read that will lift your spirits, here’s a collection of 35 quotes about being thankful.
- If you have a little more time, sift through these 47 quotes about gratitude and really feel the gratitude sink in.
- If you’re having a hard time being grateful today, read these 7 reminders to inspire an attitude of gratitude.
- If you’re looking for short and practical gratitude affirmations, this article lists twenty of them for you.
- Today is a gift. But if it doesn’t feel like it, try this affirmation to express thanks for this day specifically.
- When it all feels overwhelming, use this affirmation to enjoy the little things in life.
- A simple, daily affirmation for happiness: “I am grateful.” Short and sweet, and sometimes just what we need to wake up on the right side of bed, realign with peace during the day, and fall asleep with ease at night.
More Articles about Gratitude
A rather random assortment of articles about gratitude, including (but not limited to) reasons to be thankful, the joys of gratitude, helpful insights, etc.
- It’s not always easy to be grateful, but this post shares 10 things worthy of your appreciation (things that are often taken for granted).
- Gratitude is in the dictionary, but it can mean different things to different people depending on the circumstances and timing of their life. This article touches upon how gratitude is a lifestyle and can have a powerful impact on just about everything in our lives.
- A fun twist on being grateful: Marie Forleo shares her take on the downside of gratitude in this video (yes, there are side effects to be aware of).
- I love this post by Gabby Bernstein that highlights three components to living a miraculous life: forgiveness, gratitude, and love.
- Gratitude is powerful and far-reaching. If gratitude could teach us anything in life, I bet it would teach us at least 5 powerful lessons, highlighted in this Thanksgiving post.
- Which of these articles about gratitude did you enjoy reading?
- How do you stay grateful, when it’s easy and when it’s hard?
- Do you have any practices that keep you grounded in gratitude?
- Are there any articles about gratitude that aren’t on this list (yet), that you would recommend?
Please share your thoughts, any additional and helpful articles about gratitude, gratitude practices, lessons learned along the way, and relevant experiences with me in the comments.
Share this collection with someone who might appreciate it.
Let your gratitude be the light that guides you back home.
Free feather graphic by Angie Makes; lettering by Aim Happy.