When you affirm to enjoy the little things that are alive in each moment, your life becomes a growing mosaic of happy moments. Let’s be mindful of the simple pleasures that we’re blessed with every day.
“Enjoy the little things… for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things.” – Robert Brault
Enjoy the Little Things
I appreciate the simple pleasures in life, and so I build the foundation for a good life.
Stop looking at what you don’t have and start cherishing what you do have. Direct your attention toward the basic good things in your life, to the moments that worked out well for you, and to the accomplishments you’ve made (even the small victories count).
If you’ve been taking for granted the little moments in life, it’s time to make a shift. Don’t think of life as being made up of days, weeks, or years; life is made up of the evolving present moment. Rather than labeling an entire day as “happy” or “crappy,” perhaps we’re happier living from moment to moment.
It’s when we string together mindful moments of joy that we can string together a joyous life.
Even a bad experience has a valuable moment wrapped up inside of it; try to be willing to dig deeper to discover it. To quote Noah benShea: “A miracle is often the willingness to see the common in an uncommon way.” The slightest shift in perception (from fear to love) equates to a miracle.
Shift into this moment, and recognize all life in this moment of your journey. This makes it much easier to enjoy the little things present in each step.
Do Small Things with Great Love
I have reverence for the moment. I am mindful of my daily habits. I take nothing for granted.
Enjoying the little things requires a certain appreciation for life and a deeper level of awareness. Exercise a conscious mind and open your heart to the small joys that too often are taken for granted. You’re blessed more than you may have been led to believe.
Affirm your blessings and honor their presence in your life.
Live with a greater intention to love, seeing situations and people as opportunities to learn love, teach love, or join in love. How you live in this moment sends a message that reverberates through your entire life.
As Annie Dillard so wonderfully put it: “How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.”
30 Simple Pleasures Worth Appreciating
I am creating a collection of happy moments.
The little things add up to big happiness. Start collecting happy moments. To inspire your own thankful thoughts, here are some things I really enjoy in life:
- An unexpected “hello,” “thank you,” or “I love you.”
- A clear night’s sky speckled with stars.
- A stranger’s smile.
- The innocent affection of a child.
- Homemade meals.
- A warm fire in the winter and a cool breeze in the summer.
- Movie nights with popcorn, pajamas, and big blankets.
- When a song connects perfectly with what I’m feeling.
- A bear hug from someone I love.
- Holding hands.
- A good book to get lost in.
- A cup of tea at the end of a long day.
- Changing into yoga pants.
- An encouraging word when I’m feeling lost.
- Wildflowers in the spring and changing leaves in the fall.
- Massages, candles that smell like baked goods, and fuzzy socks.
- Sunshine on my face and fresh air in my lungs.
- Being in a silly mood.
- Being able to help someone feel better.
- Receiving a sincere compliment.
- Indulging (without guilt) in a really yummy dessert.
- Feeling comfortable in my own skin.
- Walking around barefoot.
- Spending time with my friends.
- Laughing to the point of tears.
- Looking at nature and being amazed at the miracle that is life.
- Waking up without an alarm clock.
- My morning grapefruit.
- Feeling like the universe is taking care of me.
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy. There are so many reasons to be thankful. These are just a few of my own examples–think of all the reasons you have to smile, especially the little reasons. You can even write them down in your happiness journal if you’re feeling extra motivated and grateful.
The point is this: perhaps there are no little things.
- What simple pleasures can you be thankful for right now?
- Are you willing to place your attention on the present moment, whether it’s peaceful or uncomfortable?
- How has being mindful actually brought you more peace?
- What little things are you focusing on today?
Please share your happy thoughts, positive intentions, simple moments of peace, and experiences with me in the comments.
Share this affirmation with someone you appreciate.
Enjoy the little things, and you’ll realize that miracles happen in subtleties.
Free watercolor pattern by Angie Makes; lettering by Aim Happy.