The present moment is the perfect moment to celebrate the joy of living, because it’s the only moment we’re guaranteed. These quotes about being happy cater to the notion that there’s something beautiful in each moment, even when we need to look a little harder.
“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” – Buddha
Happiness is fleeting just as each moment is fleeting, yet the present moment is all there is, and it holds all the potential in this world for peace. The past and the future live only in the mind, yet somehow we make them real by feeding them our thoughts.
What if we were to feed this moment our energy? Would we recognize that the present moment is not fleeting at all, but eternal? Would happiness be fleeting?
Set a positive example today by strengthening your faith in how wonderful it is to be alive. We will notice that life is still beautiful if only we slow down to recognize its beauty.
Of course, there are moments when life doesn’t seem to shine so bright. Remember always that there’s a light inside of you that can never be dimmed. These are the times when we must endow the world with our own sunshine, spreading peace further into the world by deepening our commitment to inner peace.
The following quotes about being happy support the belief that happiness can be manufactured, love trumps fear, and the world around us can be illuminated when we decide to shine a little brighter.
50 Delightful Quotes about Being Happy
1. “Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling.” Margaret Lee Runbeck
2. “If you want to be happy, be.” Leo Tolstoy
3. “Some pursue happiness, others create it.” – Author Unknown
4. “We all live with the objective of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same.”
5. “The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.”
6. “Now and then it’s good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.”Robert Brault
8. “But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?”Albert Camus
9. “On the whole, the happiest people seem to be those who have no particular cause for being happy except that they are so.”William R. Inge
10. “One joy scatters a hundred griefs.”Chinese Proverb
11. “Happiness is the feeling you’re feeling when you want to keep feeling it.”Unknown
12. “A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery while on a detour.”
14. “It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.”Berke Breathed
15. “Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers’ gardens.”Douglas Jerrold
16. “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy” – Thich Nhat Hanh
17. “If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sun beams and you will always look lovely.” – Roald Dahl
18. “The true secret of happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life.” – William Morris
20. “When someone else’s happiness is your happiness, that is love.” – Lana Del Rey
21. “Being happy never goes out of style.” – Lilly Pulitzer
22. “Just because you are happy it does not mean that the day is perfect but that you have looked beyond its imperfections.”– Bob Marley
23. “Be happy with what you have. Be excited about what you want.” – Alan Cohen
24. “Life is a journey, and if you fall in love with the journey, you will be in love forever.” – Peter Hagerty
25. “The art of living lies less in eliminating our troubles than growing with them.” – Bernard M. Baruch
27. “Things work out best for those who make the best out of how things work out.” – John Wooden
28. “Laughter is the fireworks of the soul.” – Josh Billings
29. “Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are.” – Marianne Williamson
30. “Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile.” – Unknown
31. “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Harry Potter
33. “Keep your face towards the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you.” – Walt Whitman
34. “My heart is set on happiness and I will not turn away. It is a feeling that I just cannot let go because happiness is a part of me. I don’t need to call it, it just resides within me.” – Benny Ion
35. “If you smile while no one is around you really mean it.”Unknown
36. “To be content means that you realize you contain what you seek.” – Alan Cohen
37. “Happiness is the experience of loving life. Being happy is being in love with that momentary experience. And love is looking at someone or even something and seeing the absolute best in him/her or it. Love is happiness with what you see. So love and happiness really are the same thing…just expressed differently.” – Robert McPhillips
39. “You live longer once you realize that any time spent being unhappy is wasted.” – Ruth E. Renkl
40. “Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time. Then your time on earth will be filled with glory.” – Betty Smith
41. “Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.” – Francesca Reigler
42. “People don’t notice whether it’s winter or summer when they’re happy.”Anton Chekhov
43. “Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.” – Dale Carnegie
45. “Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.” – Groucho Marx
46. “It isn’t what you have, or who you are, or where you are, or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about.” – Dale Carnegie
47. “Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad.” – Norm Papernick
49. “If you search the world for happiness, you may find it in the end, for the world is round and will lead you back to your door.” – Robert Brault
50. “Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive.” – Howard Thurman
Please share your thoughts, favorite quotes about being happy, lessons learned along the way, and any stories with me in the comments.
Share these quotes about being happy with someone who might enjoy them.
The only way to find happiness is to first give it away.
Free “be happy” printable by We Lived Happily Ever After.