To so many, growing up and growing old is scary, boring, and even tragic. These quotes about growing old will encourage you to leave behind any negative thoughts about aging and appreciate the blessing that is your life.
“Gratitude helps you to grow and expand; gratitude brings joy and laughter into your life and into the lives of all those around you.” – Eileen Caddy
Though our bodies may not be as young as they used to be, there are some things that are far more important than gray hair or a flat stomach. Things seen, lessons learned, wisdom gained, friendships made, the love of a growing family tree, evolving perspectives—these are but a few blessings of being alive.
Maybe growing old isn’t so bad after all; maybe it’s quite the opposite of bad. Maybe we can grow up gracefully—we can rise—without growing old inside.
Maybe we can choose to embrace the joys of growing older, because aging is a privilege not granted to everyone.
As you grow old, though the temptation to be ungrateful is there, may you remember that there’s a lot to miss by being lazy about loving life. Happiness is drawn close when we make conscious contact with the presence of love through gratitude.
Let aging be a process of continual thanks and joy in motion. If we’re constantly growing and learning with an open mind and wide eyes, perhaps we don’t grow old at all; we might even grow more alive as we awaken to the subtle nuances of what it means to be a human being for a relatively short amount of time.
Though we may carry the accumulation of years in our body and on our face, we can choose to stay young at heart, to not let the years weigh on our spirit.
I love these quotes about growing old, because they’re reminders that we become closer to ourselves through the years. I hope these quotes remind you to live your life and forget your age.
40 Quotes about Growing Old
1. “There is a certain part of all of us that lives outside of time. Perhaps we become aware of our age only at exceptional moments and most of the time we are ageless.” – Milan Jundera
2. “If wrinkles must be written upon our brows, let them not be written upon the heart. The spirit should never grow old.” – James A. Garfield
3. “He who is of a calm and happy nature will hardly feel the pressure of age, but to him who is of an opposite disposition, youth and age are equally a burden.” – Plato
5. “Nature gives you the face you have at twenty; it is up to you to merit the face you have at fifty.” – Coco Chanel
6. “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln
7. “Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.” – Walt Disney
9. “We are always the same age inside.” – Gertrude Stein
10. “Happiness in marriage is a moment by moment choice. A decision to love, forgive, grow and grow old together.” – Fawn Weaver
11. “Growing old with someone else is beautiful, but growing old while being true to yourself is divine.” – Dodinsky
13. “You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear, as young as your hope, as old as your despair.” – Douglas Macarthur
14. “Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.” – Henry Ford
15. “I don’t believe in aging. I believe in forever altering one’s aspect to the sun.” – Virginia Woolf
17. “Know that you are the perfect age. Each year is special and precious, for you shall only live it once. Be comfortable with growing older.” – Louise Hay
18. “I am not young enough to know everything.” – J.M. Barrie
19. “Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.” – Walt Disney
20. “Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.” – Satchel Paige
22. “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” – E.E. Cummings
23. “Today is the oldest you’ve ever been, and the youngest you’ll ever be again.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
24. “Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life.” – Daniel Francois Esprit Auber
26. “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” – George Bernard Shaw
27. “We grow neither better nor worse as we get old, but more like ourselves.” – May Lamberton Becker
28. “Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be.” – Robert Browning
29. “How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?” – Satchel Paige
31. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
32. “Strength and beauty are the blessings of youth; temperance, however, is the flower of old age.” – Democritus
33. “To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.” – Henri Bergson
35. “Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.” – C.S. Lewis
36. “Nothing makes a woman look so old as trying desperately hard to look young.” – Coco Chanel
37. “As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” – Audrey Hepburn
39. “Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideas. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.” – Samuel Ullman
40. “The turning point in the process of growing up is when you discover the core of strength within you that survives all hurt.” – Max Lerner
Please share your thoughts, favorite quotes about growing old, lessons learned along the way, and any stories with me in the comments.
Share these quotes about growing old with someone you care about.
No matter your age, never stop growing, never stop learning, never stop playing, never stop saying “I love you,” never stop holding hands, and never stop giving the world your smile.
Free wreath by Starsunflower Studio; lettering by Aim Happy.