Some say forgiveness doesn’t change the past, but it can change the future. What if forgiveness did change the past, that is, how we see it in our minds and how we feel about it in our hearts? I think it’s possible, because that miracle has been bestowed upon me. These forgiveness quotes speak of the same possibility of a miracle for you, too.
“If we can bring spiritual energy, which is love, kindness, forgiveness and so on, to the problem, we can dissolve it. It’s really just a matter of changing our mind about how we’re going to process the events in our lives.” – Wayne Dyer
Forgiveness works miracles when it is given, and keeps love hidden when it’s kept hidden. Forgiveness is for giving.
At times forgiving someone (or ourselves) can be even more painful than the initial wound that was inflicted, but without forgiveness there is no peace. Without forgiveness, we don’t remember how to love completely and enjoy life as freely as we’re meant to.
Reluctance to forgive is truly the resistance to love. Love only wishes to extend itself, and so it does. We falsely believe we can stop love, or restrict it and contain it in a small locked box within our hearts, serving it only to a select few when we feel it’s appropriate.
The truth is that resisting love doesn’t stop love from being a boundless presence in everything; love is flowing whether we tap into it or not.
Love is all around, and it’s our task to go back to love and realign ourselves with it. Only when we do that will we know what peace and joy really feel like.
While you’re reading and pondering these forgiveness quotes, consider how it might feel to openly forgive just for today. Today is the day you release all resistance to love and forgive without thinking twice. Even if it’s painful and especially if you don’t think it’s deserved, let it go and forgive anyway.
What might it feel like if there was no fear, just forgiveness? When you get to the end of the day, you can reflect on the peace that so often comes through the pain. That is the miracle.
Withholding forgiveness–denying love–is an illusion. You are meant to forgive, and to be forgiven. Forgive, and begin again.
30 Forgiveness Quotes to Release Resistance and Unlock Freedom
1. “There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love.” – Bryant H. McGill
2. “Forgiveness is the choice to see people as they are now. When we’re mad at people, we’re angry because of something they said or did before this moment. By letting go of the past, we make room for miracles to replace our grievances.” – Marianne Williamson
3. “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.” – Steve Maraboli
5. “Forgiveness is the key that unlocks the door of resentment and the handcuffs of hatred. It is a power that breaks the chains of bitterness and the shackles of selfishness.” – Corrie Ten Boom
6. “You have the power to take away someone’s happiness by refusing to forgive. That someone is you.” – Alan Cohen
7. “Forgiveness is not a feeling; it is a commitment. It is a choice to show mercy, not to hold the offense up against the offender. Forgiveness is an expression of love.” – Gary Chapman
9. “To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness.” – Robert Muller
10. “To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.” – Lewis B. Smedes
11. “The ineffable joy of forgiving and being forgiven forms an ecstasy that might well arouse the envy of the gods.” – Elbert Hubbard
13. “Sometimes the measure of friendship isn’t your ability to not harm but your capacity to forgive the things done to you and ask forgiveness for your own mistakes.” – Randy K. Milholland
14. “We are told that people stay in love because of chemistry, or because they remain intrigued with each other, because of many kindnesses, because of luck. But part of it has got to be forgiveness and gratefulness.” – Ellen Goodman
15. “We all agree that forgiveness is a beautiful idea until we have to practice it.” – C.S. Lewis
17. “Grudges are for those who insist that they are owed something; forgiveness, however, is for those who are substantial enough to move on.” – Criss Jami
18. “Choosing to forgive someone for past wrongdoings isn’t an act of weakness or an attempt to forget, but a courageous decision to channel our precious time into a more positive and rewarding direction.” – David Cunliffe
19. “Forgiveness is above all a personal choice, a decision of the heart to go against natural instinct to pay back evil with evil.” – Pope John Paul II
21. “Instead of getting even or teaching someone a lesson when they do you wrong, consider teaching yourself a lesson instead. Revenge keeps you psychically connected to another in a negative way. Release yourself through the liberating act of forgiveness, and learn a truly valuable spiritual lesson.” – Sri Gawn Tu Fahr
22. “We achieve inner health only through forgiveness—the forgiveness not only of others but also of ourselves.” – Joshua Loth Liebman
23. “The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.” – Marianne Williamson
25. “Resentment blocks the flow of prosperity. Gratitude magnifies and accelerates it. Forgiveness bridges the gap.” – Rev. David Alexander
26. “True forgiveness is not an action after the fact, it is an attitude with which you enter each moment.” – David Ridge
27. “When we embrace forgiveness, we instantaneously dissolve stagnant energies from our life, pain and anger that has no benefit or purpose, and in doing so, we open that space in our heart for greater peace, love and healing.” – David Cunliffe
29. “Forgiveness and letting go are steps on our road back to happiness.” – Rina Dayton
30. “Ask not to be forgiven, for this has already been accomplished. Ask, rather, to learn how to forgive, and to restore what always was to your unforgiving mind.” – A Course In Miracles
- Which of these forgiveness quotes is calling to you?
- What have you learned by forgiving another, forgiving yourself, or knowing that you have been forgiven?
- How does forgiveness feel to you, what does it mean to you, and what has it given you?
Please share your own favorite quotes, thoughts, lessons, and experiences with forgiveness with me in the comments.
Share these forgiveness quotes with someone you care about.
Wake up to your heart’s purpose–it is eternally entwined with forgiveness. It’s not easy at first, but believe me: Forgiveness becomes a natural response, a favored option, and so much easier with each forgiven trespass.