How you live in this moment is how you live your life. This is why I love sharing my favorite quotes to live by, which is exactly what I’m doing today. This collection is just a tad special, in that I’m using half of these quotes on my own calendar for next year (and for gift-giving purposes)—that means I REALLY love them. I hope you’re inspired to love, too.
“My entire life can be described in one sentence: it didn’t go as planned, and that’s ok.” — Rachel Wolchin
I had no idea what quotes I wanted to share this week. It’s that time of year when everything feels rushed, one party seems to lead straight into another, distractions are abundant, and my sacred self-care routines get pushed to the back burner without a second thought. That’s just me, anyway.
How do we get it all done? Maybe, we don’t. Maybe, that has to be okay. Maybe, we’re better off learning how to be okay with where we are, who we are, and what we can do.
Oh, but then I wondered about gifts. Last year I made a nice calendar featuring my recent trip to Alaska: twelve gorgeous pictures (Alaska was amazing!), each accompanied by inspirational quotes that I loved. This year I visited Ireland (also stunning!) and plan on giving the same kind of gift.
Since gift-giving is also on my long list of things to do before the end of the year, I figured I’d get two things done at once: today’s post and a chunk of my 2018 calendar for my loved ones. It sounded like a good plan to me.Life doesn't stop so we can catch up. All we can do is learn to be okay with what we can do. Click To Tweet
Hey, maybe you want to give the gift of inspiration this year, too; in that case, I hope these quotes serve your gift-giving needs. In any case, I’m particular about the quotes I share here, so my ultimate hope is that you’re inspired by these—if just one speaks to you, I consider my time spent on hunting and gathering time well spent.
Maybe you’ll even want to put these on your own personal calendar for 2018.
(The reason that I’m sharing 24 quotes instead of 12 is that I want my friends and family, if they’re reading this, to still be a little bit surprised by what they find on their calendar this year. That way, I only half ruined the surprise.)
Here’s to embracing the process as best as we can, taking care of ourselves when we’re tempted to put it on the back burner, loving others deeply, and having reverence for life no matter how fast we think it’s moving.
24 Quotes to Live By — I’m Putting 12 of them on My Calendar for Next Year
1. “The simple things are also the most extraordinary things, and only the wise can see them.” – Paulo Coelho
2. “Take joy in sharing positive energy with others. It’s a rough road for all so give the sunlight.” — Brendon Burchard
3. “It is not how much we have but how much we enjoy that makes happiness.” – Charles Spurgeon“Wherever you are, be all there.” — Jim Elliot Click To Tweet
5. “If we would just take a moment to look around, we would find that the universe is in constant communication with us.” – Alexandria Hotmer
6. “Care less about what you own. Care more about how you live.” — Joshua Becker
7. “Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes… including you.” – Anne Lamott“You create a good future by creating a good present.” @EckhartTolle Click To Tweet
9. “Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life.” – Brian Andreas
10. “If all you did was just look for things to appreciate, you would live a joyous, spectacular life.” — Abraham-Hicks
11. “There are a thousand thousand reasons to live this life, every one of them sufficient.” — Marilynne Robinson“The key to success is to start before you are ready.” @MarieForleo Click To Tweet
13. “Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.” — Helen Keller
14. “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” – Howard Thurman
15. “When I get to the end of my life, and I ask one final ‘What have I done?’ let my answer be: ‘I have done love.’” — Jennifer Pastiloff“Embrace the current season of your life.” — Gabrielle Blair Click To Tweet
17. “The greatest gift you can ever give another person is your own happiness.” – Abraham-Hicks
18. “Whenever we manage to love without expectations, calculations, negations, we are indeed in Heaven.” — Rumi
19. “Go after what you really love and find a way to make that work for you, and then you’ll be a happy person.” — Tom Petty“Show up in every single moment like you’re meant to be there.” @MarieForleo Click To Tweet
21. “Today: Soak in what’s real and what’s real is unhurried. The ground. The air. The exhale. The planted seed. The shift. The season.” – Victoria Erickson
22. “Be happy with what you have while working for what you want. So much has been given to me, I have no time to ponder over that which has been denied.” – Helen Keller
23. “Garner up pleasant thoughts in your mind, for pleasant thoughts make pleasant lives.” – John Wilkins
24. “Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, ‘It will be happier.’” – Alfred Lord Tennyson
Which quote(s) do you want to live by next year? (Your quote doesn’t have to be from this list.)
Please share your favorite quotes to live by, practices that help you stay sane and happy during busy seasons, gift giving ideas that inspire others, and anything else with me in the comments.
Be the one who inspires someone else (we need more people like that in the world); send these quotes to them and feel good about passing along the positivity.
I consider this brilliant holiday advice: Stop trying to be perfect or profound and just consider your present-moment joy, appreciation, or peace the greatest success you could achieve.
Now I’ll go find 12 calendar-worthy photos of cows and sheep, and I think I’ll bring more joy to the process. I bet that’ll make giving the gift a whole lot more enjoyable. And this is what bringing the joy is all about.