Imagination is endless, but it’s our fear of what we might be able to do, have, and experience that keeps us limited. This collection of creativity quotes highlights the beauty of the mind at play and speaks to the eternal nature of the creative spirit.
“Everyone is born creative; everyone is given a box of crayons in kindergarten. Then when you hit puberty they take the crayons away and replace them with dry, uninspiring books on algebra, history, etc. Being suddenly hit years later with the ‘creative bug’ is just a wee voice telling you, ‘I’d like my crayons back, please.'” — Hugh MacLeod
If we look to children, we see that freedom of thought and a playful approach to life is in our nature. We are all born creative, with the capacity to dream up things that never existed before.
Adulthood can be stressful, with so much influencing the way we live, but the quality of our thoughts is our responsibility—the ability to choose one thought over another is our innate power. When we take responsibility for that power, and we really own it, we can create a life we only once imagined.“The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled.” – Plutarch Click To Tweet
Too often we forget to play, we neglect to open our mind to new possibilities and perspectives, we struggle to look without judgment on what we see, and we think it foolish to be happy for no particular reason at all. Yet our willingness to do all of these things would allow us to flourish.
Sometimes, we need a reminder to pay attention to what’s going on inside of our own heads, and to start consciously choosing happier thoughts. If we’ve forgotten our own creative tendencies, we can rekindle that fire by making space in the midst of everyday life for our imagination to play.
Let the following creativity quotes remind you that play, fun, and a lighthearted outlook are deep-rooted parts of who you are as a human being.
23 Creativity Quotes for Everyday Life
1. “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.” — Carl Sagan
2. “The best use of imagination is creativity. The worst use of imagination is anxiety.” — Deepak Chopra
3. “Without imagination we can go nowhere. And imagination is not restricted to the arts. Every scientist I have met who has been a success has had to imagine.” — Rita DoveCreativity is intelligence having fun. — Albert Einstein Click To Tweet
5. “Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” — Albert Einstein
6. “Creative isn’t the way I think, it’s the way I like to live.” — Paul Sandip
7. “The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.” — C.G. JungCreativity is the greatest rebellion in existence. — Osho Click To Tweet
9. “It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.” — Albert Einstein
10. “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” — Maya Angelou
11. “To think creatively, we must be able to look afresh at what we normally take for granted.” – George Kneller“The world is but a canvas to the imagination.” — Henry David Thoreau Click To Tweet
13. “Imagination is the flame that ignites the creative spirit. Imagination lights up your mind by stoking mental fires. It can be stimulated from the outside through the senses, or from the inside through the driving power of curiosity and discontent.” – Wilferd Peterson
14. “Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” — Albert Einstein
15. “Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.” — Franklin D. Roosevelt“Imagination is the power of the mind over the possibilities of things.” — Wallace Stevens Click To Tweet
17. “All the things that truly matter, beauty, love, creativity, joy and inner peace arise from beyond the mind.” — Eckhart Tolle
18. “To be creative means to be in love with life. You can be creative only if you love life enough that you want to enhance its beauty, you want to bring a little more music to it, a little more poetry to it, a little more dance to it.” — Osho
19. “Everything you can imagine is real.” – Pablo PicassoTo live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. — Joseph Chilton Pearce Click To Tweet
21. “Creative expression is the grand driver and amplifier of satisfaction in life.” – Brendon Burchard
22. “What keeps life fascinating is the constant creativity of the soul.” — Deepak Chopra
23. “When interacting with the world, endeavor to be open to being open. Open to possibilities. Open to opportunities. Open to co-creation. Open to Love. Being open creates an environment where the unimaginable can, and usually does, happen.” — Anthony J.W. Benson
- Which of these creativity quotes rings true for you?
- How do you stay creative and inspired?
- When do you feel most free to be who you are, to thoroughly enjoy the moment, and to get lost in a state of flow?
Please share your thoughts, favorite creativity quotes, helpful insights for feeding the imagination, and any stories with me in the comments.
Share these creativity quotes with someone who might appreciate the message.
You were born to make love manifest in the world.
Free bloom wreath by Lisa Glanz; lettering by Aim Happy.