In honor of Earth Day, I’ve put together a delightful little collection of Earth Day quotes. Though words can only hint at the nameless wonders of life on this planet, it’s nice to contemplate (and reacquaint ourselves with) Nature.
“We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don’t know.” – W. H. Auden
Tomorrow is Earth Day (though I think every day is Earth Day, as long as we’re here). Earth is a living, breathing organism—living and breathing through each being that inhabits the planet. Without a tolerable planet to live on, where would we be? How else might we be experiencing life?
Each moment provides us with an opportunity to learn from Nature, to appreciate the splendor of it all, and to approach a deeper level of understanding of a universal order. The present moment is the portal through which we can enter that understanding, and live in harmony with the earth.
Though we think we know about life, we’ve only scratched the surface. Yet there’s so much we can learn from being alive and conscious on Earth, if we’re present enough to witness it. We merely need to soften our perspective so that we might see more than the sights, hear more than the sounds.
I’ve learned that man and nature, form and spirit might be interrelated expressions of one all-encompassing whole, one breath breathing us all. Perhaps the likeness in each other outweighs the difference. I think we can all reach our own understanding of this wholeness by looking “deep into nature,” as Albert Einstein once suggested.
Nature can be described in so many beautiful and elegant ways, but the essence of earth is not reserved only for poets. “You don’t have to be a scientist,” either, a wise person once said, “to learn from Nature’s marvelous creation; you only need to stop long enough to observe and let Nature reveal its wonders to you.”
What we call Earth, Nature, and the Universe can never be contained in any word or combination of words. Nevertheless, we can point to the magnificence that is, in its essence, indescribable, beyond words.
I’ve gathered these Earth Day quotes as a means of pointing to the ultimate reality that is Life–something that’s too vast to explain, but too amazing to resist contemplating.
In honor of the life we live, the life we’re part of, and the life we are, enjoy.
22 Earth Day Quotes to Honor the Life We Live, and Are
1. “The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do.” – Galileo Galilei
2. “Nature is painting for us, day after day, pictures of infinite beauty if only we have the eyes to see them.” – John Ruskin
3. “Nature gives to every time and season some beauties of its own; and from morning to night, as from the cradle to the grave, is but a succession of changes so gentle and easy, that we can scarcely mark their progress.” – Charles Dickens, Nicholas Nickleby
5. “Just living is not enough… one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.” – Hans Christian Andersen
6. “People are as wonderful as sunsets if you let them be. When I look at a sunset, I don’t find myself saying, ‘Soften the orange a bit on the right hand corner.’ I don’t try to control a sunset. I watch with awe as it unfolds.” – Carl Rogers
7. “… I practice turning people into trees. Which means appreciating them just the way they are.” – Ram Dass
8. “Look past your thoughts, so you may drink the pure nectar of this moment.” – Rumi
10. “Our entire biological system – the brain and the earth itself – work on the same frequencies.” – Nicola Tesla
11. “Apprentice yourself to nature. Not a day will pass without her opening a new and wondrous world of experience to learn from and enjoy.” – Richard W. Langer
12. “Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.” – Rachel Carson
13. “Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature, open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers, and the mystery of life.” – Rita Ghatourey
15. “Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each. Let them be your only diet drink and botanical medicines… Let Nature do your bottling and your preserving.” – Henry David Thoreau, The Heart of Thoreau’s Journals
16. “Some old-fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat.” – Laura Ingalls Wilder
17. “Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.” – Kahlil Gibran
19. “When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe.” – John Muir
20. “Do not feel lonely; the entire universe is inside you.”
21. “Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” – Albert Einstein
22. “. . . a leaf, a drop, a crystal, a moment of time is related to the whole, and partakes of the perfection of the whole. Each particle is a microcosm, and faithfully renders the likeness of the world.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Please share your favorite Earth Day quotes, lessons learned from Nature, and any inspiring stories with me in the comments.
Share these Earth Day quotes with someone who would appreciate them.
Contemplate the mystery of life without forgetting that you’re part of it.