I’m teaching myself–and these winter quotes are a reminder for us all–to not wish for summer in the winter and to enjoy our season of serenity.
“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” – John Ruskin
In winter, wish for winter. Wish to be always where you are, when you are. It’s how you are that makes a moment good or bad, a season dreadful or joyful.
To recite the writing of Henry David Thoreau: “Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.”
I am thankful for the changing seasons and the way they encourage me to enjoy life more fully, each for its own reasons. This is an appreciation that grows when I allow myself to let go of yesterday’s weather and breathe in the air around me, whether the birds are singing or the snow is falling.
May these winter quotes give you comfort, too, in knowing that a good day is usually only a grateful thought or two away.
21 Winter Quotes to Soothe Your Soul
1. “Winter is the time of promise because there is so little to do – or because you can now and then permit yourself the luxury of thinking so.” – Stanley Crawford
2. “Let us love winter, for it is the spring of genius.” – Pietro Aretino
3. “I realize there’s something incredibly honest about trees in winter, how they’re experts at letting things go.” – Jeffrey McDaniel
5. “I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says, ‘Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again.’” – Lewis Carroll
6. “Snowflakes are one of nature’s most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together.” – Vista M. Kelly
7. “We are like a snowflake, all different in our own beautiful way.” – Unknown
9. “One kind word can warm three winter months.” – Japanese proverb
10. “If flowers can teach themselves how to bloom after winter passes, so can you.” – Noor Shirazie
11. “Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour.” – John Boswell
13. “If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.” – Anne Bradstreet
14. “Of winter’s lifeless world each tree Now seems a perfect part; Yet each one holds summer’s secret Deep down within its heart.” – Charles G. Stater
15. “What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.” – John Steinbeck
17. “And don’t think the garden loses its ecstasy in winter. It’s quiet, but the roots are down there riotous.” – Rumi
18. “The color of springtime is in the flowers, the color of winter is in the imagination.” – Terri Guillemets
19. “Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.” – Edith Sitwell
21. “In the midst of winter I found there was within me an invincible summer.” – Albert Camus
- Are you willing to let go of what you cannot control?
- Are you willing to enjoy the beauty that only this season can bring?
- Is there anything unique to winter that you enjoy or appreciate?
Please share your favorite winter quotes, seasonal inspiration, lessons learned, and any stories with me in the comments.
Share these winter quotes with someone who would enjoy them.
To everything there is a season, and a reason to smile with thanks ever in our hearts.