Stress relief comes in many forms, but sometimes the “simple pleasures” are exactly what we need to get back to peace. Here are ten natural stress relievers to improve your mood, soothe your nerves, and lift your spirits.
“Sometimes you need to step outside, get some air, and remind yourself of who you are and where you want to be.” – Unknown
These are ten simple, deliberate actions you can practice daily to relieve stress. No prescription required, just your willingness to try something different.
10 Natural Stress Relievers for a Better Day
1. Drink black tea. Drinking daily cups of black tea has a positive effect on stress hormone levels and helps you recover more quickly from stressful events.
2. Move. Regular exercise helps the brain cope better with stress and positively affects mood, self-esteem, alertness and concentration, sleep, and energy levels. Even five minutes of aerobic exercise stimulates anti-anxiety effects.
3. Be in nature. Taking in the sights and sounds of nature is (naturally) calming. Observing interesting natural elements improves memory and concentration, and positively affects mood, overall well-being, and our ability to cope with pain. While you’re outside, soak up a little sunshine.
4. Bring in green. Plants and vegetation offer so many health benefits–like improved relationships, performance, mood, and concentration–that it’s worth mentioning again: Go outside, or bring the outside indoors.
5. Be around pets. Being in the presence of pets is associated with mental, social, and physiological health benefits.
6. Grow a garden. Gardening promotes relief from acute stress and is linked to improved mood and lower cortisol levels. It could be the winning combination of physical movement and mental concentration. If it’s too cold outside, consider indoor gardening.
7. Listen to music. Music can alter our mood, making it a powerful tool for relieving stress and anxiety, either by playing or listening to it. In fact, listening to music may change brain functioning to the same extent as medication.
8. Incorporate “cool” colors. Shades of green and especially blue possess stress-relieving qualities that invoke feelings of peace and harmony.
9. Take a deep breath. When your nerves are frayed from a fast-paced world, come back to your breath. Deep breathing elicits the relaxation response. Other paths to relaxation include meditation, stretching, yoga, tai chi, Qi gong, guided imagery, and prayer.
10. Take a nap. Taking naps can reverse the damaging effects of sleep deprivation, boasting powerful mental, physical, emotional, and psychological benefits. Try this breathing exercise for better sleep, or this nightly routine for peaceful sleep.
- Which natural stress relievers will you use to cultivate more peace today?
- How do you relax, and what reminds you to relax?
Please share any thoughts, tips, insights, or experiences with me in the comments.
Share these natural stress relievers with someone who could use some peace today.
Peace must start with you.